Archer +

App to help improve archery score and technique.
This project was completed during my time at General Assembly.


Overview

Client

John Stanley

Brief

To create a mobile app to help get the most out of archery practice by being allowing the user to instantly find out their score, analysis technique and overall improve performance. 

Problem / Opportunity

To recreate tournament settings so that when the user comes to tournament events they are relaxed and calm. 

To help the user improve their average score.

Team

I was the sole designer on this project. It was a two week project split up into one week on the research and initial prototype and one week on iterations based on user testing and the visual design.

Skills

Competitive Analysis, User Interviews, Sketches, User Testing, Prototyping, Visual Design.

Tools

Sketch, Marvel and Pop.

Platform

Phone.

Concept map of client's interests


Research

Interviews

During the interviews with the client it became clear that they wanted something which would take care of the task of keeping score so the user could wouldn’t be taken out of their routine and normal rhythm allowing them to improve their technique. 

Affinity Map

Key quotes from Interviews 

Current Archery score apps are too hard to use and take up too much time
I want a cleaner design which just tells me what I want to know without getting too complicated
Keeping track of your scores is the only way you improve
Measuring your progress over time is the standard way of testing yourself
This is just for me, for my personal practice

Design

Participatory Design

During the participatory design stage, I worked with John seeing what the app needed to do. It was useful as this way I got instant feedback and could make adjustments based on what he wanted and any issues he could foresee with it at that stage.

At this point the user had to manually input their score. This still meant that the user had a lot of work to do to record their score. There was also too many features.

first designs

Iterations

Then I went back to the what the user actually wanted: 

I want a cleaner design which just tells me what I want to know without getting too complicated

So I moved away from the the manual input of the score and started to prioritise what the app needed to do. 

I concentrated on the idea of having sensors on the end of the arrows to automatically capture the score, meaning the user no longer had to input the score, but allowed for manual amendments if the user so wishes. 

iterations

I had to look at the main problem of the user again (to help them improve their score and technique) to see how this could be solved. To help with this I did a 10-in10 to come up with some new ideas.

Selection of sketches from 10 in 10 session

I started to think about what would help in the practice routine and how that could be improved which lead me to introduce an analysis feature on the app which would work with a camera on top of the target to relay back score information, record the action and give tips on how to improve for the next end. End is the name of a round in archery.


Storyboard

To see how the app and analysis feature in particular would work, I did a storyboard which went through the whole scenario.


Testing

Paper Prototyping

With more information about how the app would actually be used, I then did paper prototyping which helped highlight issues which I wasn’t aware of.

Paper Prototypes

Clickable Prototyping

So with every round of testing, the key was to get to the heart of the problem and try and eliminate any issues users were having with the app. Putting it into Pop app really helped bring the app to life so users could use and test it.

Clickable Prototype - Record Score function

Clickable Prototype - Analysis & Score function


Visual Design

Mood Boards

To capture the look and feel that I was after, I did some moods board for inspiration. The app had to have a calming effect on the user.


Style Tile

I tried out different out different style tiles with users and tested which one they found most calming.

Style Tile V1

Style Tile V2

Style Tile V3 - this version tested the best


Visual Design of the App

The next stage of the process was to refine the visual design of the app.

Earlier version of the visual design

Final version of the visual design


Hi Fidelity Clickable Prototype

After all testing was completed, I produced a Hi Fidelity Mock Up clickable prototype.